How to use GitHub to report an issue
PrestaShop is using GitHub to track bugs and issues. This is the best place to describe bugs you are witnessing on your PrestaShop installation, and have the developers try to fix it.
Creating your account
To participate, you need to create an account to use the bug tracker.
Create your account here.
Fill all fields and validate your account request, then follow the different steps.
Once your account is validated, click here to log in.
Creating an issue
You can now create your first issue:
- Go to the list of issues
- Click on the “New issue” button on the right.
- Choose between a “Bug report”, or a “Feature request”, and click on “Get started”
A text editor appears:
To fill the required information, just use the text editor. You can use the “preview” tab to see how your issue will be published.
There are four main sections:
- Describe the bug, a clear and concise description of what the bug is.
- To Reproduce, describe the different steps and information to reproduce the issue.
- Screenshots, add screenshots in this section.
- Additional information, like your version of PHP and Mysql and your server configuration.
- Click the “Submit new issue” button when you are done.
Best practices for writing an issue
When writing a bug report, please use these guidelines:
- Make sure you can reproduce your bug every time.
- Make sure your software is up to date.
- Ideally, test an in-development version to see whether your bug has already been fixed.
- Search the Forge to see whether your bug has already been reported.
- Write a clear summary.
- Write precise steps to reproduce. Be specific and verbose: do not fear to give details on how you did reproduce the bug.
- After your steps, precisely describe the observed result and the expected result.
These are inspired by Mozilla’s own guidelines.
GitHub provides very good documentation about how to write issues with its flavoured Markdown. It is possible to highlight code syntax, add pictures, or even to link issues and pull requests.